Chlorine Taste and Smell in Drinking Water

Schedule a Free Water Analysis
Backed by Our Ph.D. Scientist

Why is there Chlorine in My Water?

The truth is, there’s more to your water than just water. Water treatment facilities add set amounts of disinfectants, like chlorine, to kill disease-causing germs. Of course, this doesn’t mean you want to be tasting or smelling it. Here’s how to mitigate chlorine and its effects and have water more on your terms.

How Do I Know If I Have Too Much Chlorine?

The EPA considers chlorine levels up to 4 parts per million (ppm) safe for drinking water. At this level, negative health effects are unlikely to occur. However, there are common signs and symptoms of over-chlorinated water.

You should test the chlorine levels in your water if:

  1. Your water tastes or smells like pool water.
  2. You feel ill after drinking water from the tap.
  3. You have extremely irritated, dry, or itchy skin.

High concentrations of chlorine not only negatively impact your health, though. It can even result in plumbing system damage and a shortened lifespan of appliances.

How to Remove Chlorine Taste and Smell from Water

While there are ways to mask the taste, like boiling your water or adding citrus, this won’t solve the core issue. Only water filtration can provide long-term results and problem-free water.

Using Filtration to Remove Chlorine Taste and Smell

Installing a filtration system results in your water:

  1. Being free from the taste and smell of chlorine.
  2. Containing no extra metals or minerals (like sediment deposits, mold and even rust).
  3. Will be less harsh on your hair, skin and nails.

Kinetico Can Help with Your Water’s Smell, Taste and More

Our advanced water systems provide residential water solutions that are reliable, durable, and efficient. Schedule a free water analysis with a Kinetico expert today!