The Importance of Purified Water
Why Does Water Need To Be Purified?
It’s easy to write off water purification for your home if you don’t notice any problems. In reality, though, water issues can go much deeper than just what you can see, smell or even taste. And even with a fridge-based or standalone filter, you’re fighting an uphill battle. Only home-installed water purifications systems can fully put you in control of your water quality. Here’s all the water purification info you need to understand and improve what comes from your taps.
What Causes Contaminated Water?
Contamination issues can start before water even reaches your home. Factors like weather, faulty/outdated piping and more can all contribute contaminants. And since there’s no way for your water company to remove them all, there’s a set amount of each contaminant that’s legally allowed to be in your water. This can include:
- Excess minerals
How To Know if Your Water Needs Purification
When in doubt, the best way to know your water is a free water analysis. If you notice any of those following, chances are also good that your water needs help:
- A bad and/or off taste (often like metal or a strange soda).
- Cloudiness or any atypical color.
- A smell similar to bleach, rotten eggs or fish.
- Cloudy residue on or near water-based appliances (e.g., faucets, toilets, etc.).
Risks of Unpurified Water
Unpurified water can potentially affect you and your home in many ways:
- Health risks: Drinking unpurified water can lead to everything from indigestion and dehydration to increased blood pressure and kidney damage.
- Appliance damage: Anything that uses/is near unpurified water can become less effective and have a shorter lifespan.
- Costliness: Due to both of the above, your spending and bills can go up.
How Water is Purified
The best water purification systems have a reverse osmosis process, meaning they use pressure to move water through an advanced membrane. Then, the membrane’s filters are capable of capturing contaminants as small as a nanometer and removing them. The whole system operates electrically and will generally only need yearly membrane replacement (which comes free with purchase).
Get Yourself a Water Purification System With Kinetico
At Kinetico, we always prioritize your wants and needs when developing your custom water solution. To best understand how our water purification systems can benefit you, schedule a free water analysis today.